Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Alot To Swallow

Yesterday was the day I got to meet with my surgeon, and get my pathology reports. There is so much information thrown at you that it can be overwhelming at times. My one appointment with the surgeon yesterday turned into 3 appointments with 3 different people. By the time the day was over I was definitely physically as well as mentally drained. My pathology reports show that I have stage 2 IDC. My FISH Test was HER2 -, so that was a bit of a relief. The results from my MRI that I had Friday came back while I was actually meeting with the surgeon. Unfortunately it was not as favorable, it shows there are 2 more spots in my right breast where the original cancer was found, as well as 1 spot in my left breast. This means that I am have to have specific mammograms, sonograms, and possibly three more biopsy's on Friday to see if these suspicious areas are cancer as well. Good thing is that at the breast cancer center where I will have these test done work fast and I will have my test results by that evening or early Monday morning at the latest, so the waiting period will not be as long. I also seen another doctor yesterday as they feel it would be a benefit to be genetically tested to see if I carry the BRCA1 or BRAC2 gene mutation. I definitely want this test because if this is the case then it could affect the girls, and I want to protect them. Taking everything into consideration, it looks like I am facing a mastectomy on both sides. I also seen the plastic surgeon yesterday , what fun that was get measured and scoped out...lol.. We are hoping that the first step in the reconstruction will be started when the mastectomy surgery is performed but I have some other health issues that have to be addressed and resolved first. If not then it will be performed at a later date. This has been so much to swallow in such a short time. And some aspects of it weigh heavy on me, but I am trying to look at the bright side. It could have been worse, It will give me life to watch my girls grow, and to grow old with Kenny. And the most positive thing I can think o f is look out y'all I'm getting a boob job....lol..
On the more serious side of things cancer is a terrible thing. My mommy said to me she wished she could take this all away from me and it be her. And my thought was no mommy I got this and hopefully I have it so that I can spare my girls from it. I know I have a long hard road ahead of me, but everywhere I turn I find so many strong women who have been through this that fill me with hope and inspiration. And the support I have received from family, friends, and people who I didn't even know has helped to brighten my every day. Well I need to get some work done, remember to always show those you love how much they mean to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment