Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Surgery & Recovery

Well round 1 with this battle is over. Surgery & reconstruction did not go as planned. During the lymphnode part of the surgery they doctors discovered that things were not as previous test had shown. The cancer has spread. Due to it spreading and there now being no doubt that I will have to have chemotherapy and radiation, they did not begin reconstruction because the risk of radiation with implants was not one they were willing to take. I will not be able to get the implants. The only slim chance I have of ever having reconstruction done would be at 1 of 2 centers in the United States at Duke or another center in Louisiana. There is only a small chance that either of those centers would be able to do a reconstruction from fatty tissue in my stomach. Even if they can, they could not begin until all of my treatments are completed. And I am not sure that even if they can do it if it is something I am willing to go through at the end of this battle I am now facing. So for now the whole reconstruction has been pushed aside to concentrate on fighting for my life. I will be have chest x rays and bone scans in the coming weeks to see if the cancer has spread beyond the lympnodes to anywhere else in my body. We are still waiting on the more extensive biopsy results from my surgey, they should be back next week. I will be starting chemo in the next 3 to 5 weeks, followed by radiation. For now I am just waiting to have the last of my drain tubes taken out, as they are very uncomfortable. I am having some pain and numbness issues with my right, arm but these are normal for the surgery I had. Kenny ,the girls, and my mommy have been taking turns caring for me. They also have taken on all my responsibilities around here as I still am not allowed to lift anything. I have spent alot of time resting and recovering. It's hard for me to sit back and let everyone else do everything. I never imagined being my age and having to be bathed by someone else because I am unable to lift my arms enough to do it for myself. Everyone has been so incredible to me! My church and friends have arranged several diffrent benefits for me. I have recieved so many cards, calls and visitors, there have been so many offers to help. I am truly blessed to have so many caring family members and friends in my life.My focus has shifted now to fighting for my life. My doctor looked me straight in the eyes and told me they are going to do everything they can to make me a survivor. So with their commitment and my determination let's get ready to fight and win round 2!!!!!! Cancer may have changed my appearance on the outside ,but I refuse to let it rob me of my spirit on the inside!!!!!!...Please continue to pray for my family ... Till next time...........

No comments:

Post a Comment